The summer months are all about chilled-out picnics in the park, days on the beach, and get-togethers in the garden – and we’ll be wearing swishy maxi frocks for them all! Maxi dresses are as much a summer essential as sunnies and sunscreen, so we’ll be filling up our new-season wardrobe with this issue’s stylish cover star, The Lola Dress. Maxis are perfect for showcasing our favourite prints, especially the on-trend tropicals that are all over the high street right now, and Lola includes two options to make: spaghetti straps with a square neckline, and off-the-shoulder sleeves.
We’ll be shortening the skirt on our next version of Lola for a midi-length version too – after all, a gal can never have too many dresses, right?
Use our maxi dress sewing pattern then share your finished Lola Dress with us using #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
The Lola Dress: digital sewing pattern
This maxi dress sewing pattern is available as a PDF in the Simply Sewing Etsy store.
Sizes: UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18/Eur 34-38)
Practise your skills:
- Try two strap-styles – spaghetti or off-shoulder
- Sew and hem a maxi-length or A-line skirt
- Insert a zip
- Make and attach a bodice facing
You will need
- Dress A main fabric: 140cm (55in) width fabric x 2.8m (31⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Dress B main fabric: 140cm (55in) width fabric x 3.4m (33⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Dress A Lining fabric: 140cm (55in) width fabric x 50cm (20in)
- Zip: 55cm (22in)
- Matching thread
- Maxi dress sewing pattern
Lightweight woven fabrics such as cotton, calico, chambray, linen and challis.