As much as we enjoy breezing around in floaty frocks on balmy days, late summer might just be our favourite time of year. Still warm enough for cotton dresses but cool enough for sleeves, it opens up so many stylish sewing possibilities – including this issue’s cover star, The Aisling Dress, a versatile number that’ll work for this season and the next.
It reminds us of all our summer must-haves – a boho vibe, loose fit and swishy skirt – but the gathered sleeves mean we can rock it into autumn, too. Hurrah! What’s more, Aisling’s simple style gives you so many ways to make it your own, from mixing directional stripes, to adding colourful embroidery or statement patches as we have.
The Aisling Dress: digital sewing pattern
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48.
You will need
- Main fabric: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 3m (31⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Iron-on interfacing: 40x60cm (16x24in)
- Zip: 56cm (22in)
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
- Optional flower patch x 2
Light to medium weight cottons, crepe, rayon, viscose or linen.
- Dressmaking: make a gathered skirt
- Insert sleeves
- Sew a simple collar
- Finish with sweet tassel fastening
- Embellish with embroidered patches