This summer is all about the sleeve! Flared, fluted, floaty, pleated, ruffled, cold-shoulder, bell-shaped, bow-adorned – all the gorgeous sleeve styles we’ve spotted on the high street this season have us feeling inspired to add statement sleeves to our me-mades, too.
The Mia Set is a modern update on the oh-so-flattering shift dresses of the 1960s and includes two sleeve options to play with: flared and fluted. With so many possibilities for getting creative with sleeve styles, we’ll be making more than one Mia! The pattern is designed for lightweight fabrics with plenty of drape, such as cotton lawn, viscose and rayon, to create feminine floaty sleeves.
Celebrate the season of the sleeve with us and share your statement sleeves using #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
The Mia Set: digital sewing pattern
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48.
You will need
- Fabric: Dress: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 3m (31yds); 140cm (55in) width fabric x 1.8m (2yds) for all sizes
Top: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 3m (31yds); 140cm (55in) width x 2m (21yds) for all sizes
- Hook and eye
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
Light to medium-weight fabrics such as cotton, cotton lawn, crepe and crepe-style fabrics, viscose and rayon.
- Try two sleeve styles – make your dress or top with frill or layered sleeves.
- Finish a neckline – add a facing for a professional look.
- Hemming – sew a neat hem and learn how to hem a frill.
- Beginner’s project – fastens with a hook and eye for a simple project.