Poppy cross stitch pattern
Brighten up your home with Lesley's poppy cross stitch mounted in stylish hoops – just in time for Remembrance Day
Celebrate nature this autumn with one of our favourite free cross stitch designs on Gathered. This stunning poppy cross stitch design brings the outdoors into your kitchen or living room – providing peace and tranquility whenever you see these lovely flowers. Or, turn the poppy cross stitch single bloom into a brooch to wear with pride throughout November. Stitch it several times for your family and friends, or to help raise funds for a good cause. It’s a great way to show your support on Remembrance Sunday.
About the poppy cross stitch pattern
- Type of stitches: Whole cross stitch, backstitch
- Level: Beginner
- Threads: Stranded cotton as listed in the key
- Needle: Size 24 tapestry needle
- Fabric: 14-count antique white (101) aida measuring 18x18cm (7x7in) for the 4in hoop design
- Extras: 4in wooden embroidery hoop
This design is suitable for a beginner. If you need any advice on the basics of cross stitch take a look at our Cross stitch beginners guide.
Download the poppy cross stitch pattern
Click to download the Poppy cross stitch pattern. It is an A4 PDF with one cross stitch pattern and key.
Click to find more designs by Lesley Teare in her online shop
How to mount the poppy cross stitch into a hoop
- Using the inner hoop as a template, mark the edges of the hoop on your stitched piece using pins. Cut out your stitched piece so that it is approximately 4cm (1½in) larger than the hoop. Next, cut out a piece of white felt so that it is slightly smaller than the inner hoop.
- Insert your stitched piece into the hoop making sure that the design is straight and positioned centrally, with the screw at the top of the hoop. Make sure that the screw is fastened really tightly, so that it keeps the stitched piece taut like a drum skin.
- Sew a row of running stitches around the outside of the fabric and gather the edges to secure the stitching at the back of the hoop. Lay the piece of white felt that you cut out in step one over the back of the hoop, then tack securely in place to protect the reverse of the stitching.
More flower cross stitch patterns
Lesley Teare is one of the UK’s leading cross stitch designers, providing designs and charts for many needlework magazines including The World of Cross Stitching, Cross Stitcher, Cross Stitch Gold and Cross Stitch Crazy. She’s also created designs for retail trade and card companies and is author of the book ‘Cross Stitch Cute Baby Models – 20 lovely designs to stitch for new babies, young children or parents’. She’s loved by stitchers everywhere for her colourful and easy-to-stitch designs that never fail to wow.
SPRING SAVINGS! Subscribe from just £11.99 for 6 issues direct to your door.
Comments, questions and tips