With St. Patrick’s day on the 17th March, we thought we’d share our lucky little shamrock pattern from issue 41. The pattern designed by our editor Sara Huntington shows the shamrock used as a brooch, but we think it would fair equally well as a hat pin or appliqué patch. However you wear it, we hope it brings you all the luck of the Irish.
You can find the pattern below, or if you would like to print the pattern you can download our handy PDF here!
This straightforward leafy motif can be hooked up in three different sizes using the same pattern. How can this be? Is it some kind of sorcery? Nope, all you need to do is adjust your crochet hook size as suggested and double up the yarn where necessary. Each cheerful little decoration is quick to make, so grab a bright green DK yarn from your stash and start stitching. You’ll find a light blocking of your finished motifs will help to define that instantly recognisable shamrock shape.
You will need
- Stylecraft Special DK (100% acrylic, 100g/295m), 1 ball of Kelly Green (1826)
- A 2.5mm (US B/1 or C/2) hook for small size
- A 3.5mm (US E/4) hook for medium size
- A 4.5mm (US 7) hook for large size
- Small 7cm (2¾in) long
- Medium 8cm (3in) long
- Large 10cm (4in) long
You can find a full list of all abbreviations we use in our abbreviations and conversions guide. This pattern is written in UK terminology but you can easily convert it to US terms using this handy chart.
To make Shamrocks of different sizes, use a 2.5mm hook for the small size, a 3.5mm hook for the medium size, and for the large size, use the yarn held doubled with a 4.5mm hook.
Row 1 Dc in second ch from hook and in next 7 ch, (ss, ch2) 3 times into the last ch, ss into same ch. Ss into the back of the st at the top of the stalk, turn. [8dc, 3 ch-2 sps]
Row 2 Ch1, (ss, dc, htr, tr, htr, dc, ss) into each ch-2 sp, ss into dc at top of stalk, turn. [7 sts in each leaf]
Row 3 *Ss into next ss, dc into next dc, 5tr into next htr, ss into next tr, 5tr into next htr, dc into next dc, ss into ss; repeat from * twice more, ss into the back of the same dc from Row 2 at the top of the stalk.
Fasten off and weave in ends.
TO MAKE UP
Block and press or lightly steam each Shamrock. Sew a pin or brooch back securely to the reverse of each motif.
If you liked this pattern, why not take a look at some of our other fab free patterns
- Free Flower Crochet Patterns
- Free Crochet Heart Decoration Pattern
- Free Easter Bunny Bunting Crochet Pattern
- Free Crochet Rose Pattern
- Free Crochet Bird Decoration Pattern
- Free Tunisian Crochet Sunglasses Case Pattern
- Free Easter Bunny Ears Pattern
- Free Crochet Rainbow Flag Pencil Topper Pattern
- Free Crochet Picture Frame Patterns
- Free Beach Bunting Crochet Pattern