The best knitting kits to buy in 2023
Find your next knitting project and get all the supplies you need in one easy package with our guide to the best knitting kits around.
Sometimes the hardest part of being a knitter is choosing what to knit next, so with our round-up of the best knitting kits for 2023 we're here to help!
Take all the fuss out of matching the right yarn to the right project and tools with these knitting kits, which have done all the work for you.
We have everything from relaxing weekend projects to skill-stretching heirlooms, and plenty in between. Clothing, toys, accessories, homewares… they're all here in our list.
The knitting kits at the top of this list use super-sized yarn and/or simple beginner stitches, while the rest are best for intermediate knitters and beyond.
For more starter kits take a look at our guide to knitting kits for beginners, which includes project ideas and tips on all the essential tools you need to get going.
Are you ready to cast on your next project? Let's go!
Best knitting kits for 2023
Add a touch of luxury to your home and wardrobe with a beginner-friendly knitting kit.
1. Lulu blanket knitting kit
Snuggle up in pure luxury with this super-chunky blanket kit from Wool Couture. We're not kidding about the 'super-chunky' – you'll need 40mm needles to make this one! There are dozens of colour options to choose from, so you can perfectly match the blanket to your home decor. Your kit includes:
- 1-7 kilos of Extreme un-spun Merino yarn
- A pair of 40mm knitting needles
- Lulu blanket pattern
Buy the Lulu blanket knitting kit from Etsy.
2. Snood knitting kit
Every knitter needs a cosy snood in their wardrobe, so make it this one from I Knit Pretty. The super-chunky yarn means this Humbug knitting kit can be completed in just a few hours, so it's ideal for when you want the satisfaction of a quick and easy make. In the kit you'll receive:
- 2 x 100g balls of super chunky yarn
- A pair of 12mm knitting needles (optional)
- Humbug Snood instructions
- How to knit instructions
- A sewing needle
- A cotton project bag
Buy the Snood knitting kit from Etsy.
3. Cushion seat knitting kit
Ideal for relaxed living spaces and teen bedrooms, knit your own cosy pouf with this kit from Hoooked. Made in their Zpagetti T-shirt yarn, it measures 30-40cm high and 65-70cm across. The kit also includes crochet instructions, so you can have your choice of crafts! Note that you need to provide your own filling, and the kit includes:
- Four bobbins of Hoooked Zpagetti yarn
- A pair of 12mm knitting needles
- A 12mm crochet hook
- Knit and crochet patterns
- Portable gift box
Buy the cushion seat knitting kit from Amazon.
4. Snood Operator knitting kit
Not just one snood, but a choice of three! With this kit from Wool and the Gang you can pick the pattern depending on your abilities. Whatever you choose you'll get a cosy winter accessory in only a couple of hours of knitting. In the kit you'll find:
More like this
- 1 ball of Crazy Sexy Wool
- The Snood Operator pattern
- A pair of 15mm knitting needles (optional)
- A sewing needle
- A Made by Me label
Buy the Snood Operator knitting kit from John Lewis.
5. Nursery Blanket knitting kit
These cosy Merino blankets by Woolly Mahoosive are perfect for baby snuggles! Choose from three sizes and ten colours to brighten up a little one's nursery. All you need to know is how to cast on knitting, how to cast off knitting, and how to do a knit stitch. The blanket knitting kit features:
- 200-800g of chunky Merino yarn
- Nursery Blanket pattern and knitting guidance
- A pair of 15mm knitting needles (optional)
Buy the Nursery Blanket knitting kit from Woolly Mahoosive.
6. Sunshine Blanket knitting kit
Make a rainbow with this colourful kit from Wool and the Gang, which features six bold shades of aran-weight Pima cotton yarn. Worked in super-simple garter stitch and coming with detailed instructions, it's ideal for complete beginners. Go on, learn to knit today!
- 6 balls of Shiny Happy Cotton yarn
- The blanket pattern
- A set of 100cm circular needles (optional)
Buy the Sunshine Blanket knitting kit from John Lewis.
7. Snuggle Blanket knitting kit
Who said beginner patterns have to be worked in stocking or garter stitch? Not That Crafty Stitch! With a choice of 18 colours and three stitch patterns (including rib stitch and moss stitch), it's easy to make this squishy, huggable blanket your own.
- 800g-1kg of super squidgy blanket yarn
- 15mm circular needles (80cm long)
- Tapestry needle
- Easy to read instructions, including pictures and optional online videos
Buy the Snuggle Blanket knitting kit from Etsy.
8. Giant Hat knitting kit
Whip up a bobble hat with this fun beginner-friendly kit from Sirdar. Hold two shades of yarn together to create an eye-catching colour effect and make your hat extra cosy. In this Kith & Kin kit you will find:
- Two 100g balls of Hayfield Bonus Chunky yarn
- Knitting needles
- Easy to follow instructions
- Tapestry needle and thread
Buy the Giant Hat knitting kit from Sirdar.
The right tools for the job
If your kit doesn't come with needles, or you'd prefer to choose your own, we've got you covered! Find the best knitting needles with Gathered.
Ready to go beyond beginner projects? Treat yourself with our pick of the best knitting kits from the UK and beyond. Whether you're looking to update your home or your wardrobe, Gathered has a kit to suit…
9. Tom Daley's colourful cardi
You may have seen Tom Daley's knits on social media, and now you can get the look yourself with his new collection of knitting kits. They're all fab, but this bold cardi has the edge. Colour blocking and giant buttons – what's not to like? In the kit you will get:
- 100% Merino super chunky yarn in shades Cinnamon Swirl, Damson in Distress, Gold Medal, Olive Twist, Jump Pink, Robbie Red and Tokoyo Blue
- 5 x 50cm coconut buttons
- 12mm knitting needles
- 10mm knitting needles
- Wide-eyed darning needle
Buy the Tom Daley cardi pattern from LoveCrafts.
10. Smala Sweater knitting kit
This mini-me jumper from We Are Knitters has on-trend puff sleeves and a cute variegated colourway. It's knitted in gorgeous Merino yarn and would be suitable for intermediate knitters. Grab the pattern in five languages with the rest of the kit, which contains:
- The Meriwool Merino yarn in the main and contrast colour
- 5mm beechwood knitting needles
- The Smala Sweater pattern
- A small wool finishing needle
Buy the Smala Sweater knitting kit from Smallable.
11. Leopard print cushion knitting kit
Brighten up your living space with this animal print cushion knitting kit from Lauren Aston Designs. Choose your favourite colour combination and follow either the written pattern or the colourwork chart to knit up an eye-catching leopard print design. Lauren reckons it will take about six hours – so you could make it in a weekend! The kit features:
- 1 x 200g ball of 100% Merino super chunky yarn (background colour)
- 2 x 50g balls of 100% Merino super chunky yarn (spot colours)
- Leopard print cushion pattern and instructions, including colourwork chart
- A pair of 12mm knitting needles (optional)
- Tapestry needle (optional)
- 15 x 15" duck feather cushion pad (optional)
Get the cushion knitting kit from Not on the High Street.
12. Moose Head knitting kit
Sincerely Louise is known for her faux-taxidermy creations, and now you can make your own with one of her fabulous knitting kits. There are so many to choose from (including a dragon, unicorn, fox and tiger), but we couldn't resist this mini moose head. Got space for more? Go large with the Giant Moose Head knitting kit! The mini moose kit contains:
- Mini Moose Head pattern booklet
- A pair of 5mm knitting needles (optional)
- 2 x 50g balls of Scheepjes Stone Washed XL yarn in Obsidian
- 1 x 50g ball of Scheepjes Stone Washed XL yarn in Boulder Opal
- A small amount of black yarn for embroidering the nostrils
- Sincerely Louise mini backing board
- 2 x 80cm strands of florist wire
- Sewing needle
- 50g toy stuffing
- 2 x 12mm toy eyes and washers
- Sincerely Louise project bag
Get the Moose Head Knitting Kit from Etsy.
13. Woolly Hat knitting kit
A knitting kit that really makes a difference! With this kit from Alabaré, a charity supporting people who are vulnerable, homeless and marginalised, you get everything you need to make a woolly hat. Not only does your purchase help the charity, but you could also choose to donate your finished hat to someone in need. The kit includes:
- 3 x 50g balls of 100% acrylic yarn in Ecru, Charcoal and Mustard
- A pair of 4mm knitting needles
- Instructions on how to download your knitting pattern
- Information on other ways to help end homelessness
Get the Woolly Hat Knitting Kit from Ebay.
14. Lace wrap knitting kit
Treat yourself to a beautiful wrap with a touch of sparkle, a pretty lace pattern, and gorgeous variegated colours. At a generous 200 x 50cm it'll keep you cosy whatever the weather. All you need is a pair of 5mm knitting needles, plus the contents of the kit:
- Shawl pattern
- 75% acrylic, 10% mohair, 10% wool and 5% metallic yarn
Get the lace wrap knitting kit from Ebay.
15. Glacier Hat knitting kit
A stylish new hat is just the thing to update your wardrobe for winter. Choose this one from TOFT, with its fluffy alpaca pom pom and funky geometric design. In the kit you'll find:
- 75g of TOFT luxury British DK wool
- An alpaca pom pom
- A 4mm circular needle
- Wool needle
- Stitch marker
Buy the Toft Glacier Hat kit from LoveCrafts.
16. Sock knitting kit
Discover the fun of sock knitting with this beginner-friendly kit from Pick 'n' Stitch. It features everything you need to make your first pair, including a basic sock pattern you'll want to use again and again. The self-patterning yarn means you can focus on your stitches while the yarn creates the design for you! Here's what you'll find in the kit:
- A ball of James C Brett Funny Feetz or Funny Feetz Bamboo yarn
- Bamboo double-pointed needle set
- The basic sock pattern
Get the sock knitting kit from Ebay.
Cast on today with Gathered
For newer knitters who are uncertain about what supplies to buy, and experienced ones who just don't want to think about it, kits are a great option. Whether you're here to learn a new skill or simply to relax with some easy knitting, treat yourself to a project from our round-up and keep your needles clicking.
Your next kit, in the bag…
Now you've discovered your next project, find somewhere to store it with Gathered's round-up of the best knitting bags.
As well as spending her working life thinking about yarn, Sarah designs knitting patterns in her spare time, too!
BETTER THAN HALF PRICE SUBSCRIPTIONS! Save up to £65 on magazine shop price!
Comments, questions and tips