Free floral wreath cross stitch pattern
Create the perfect wedding gift with this special floral wreath cross stitch pattern by Amanda Gregory.
Gift the newlyweds something truly special with this beautiful floral wreath cross stitch pattern, available to download for free. A handmade gift always goes down a treat, and will certainly be a memorable way to celebrate the occasion.
Crowned the queen of cross stitch flowers, Amanda Gregory’s delicate blooms are inspired by floral studies she paints in her own garden, and her love of flowers and cross stitch come together perfectly in this delicate floral wreath cross stitch pattern. Amanda has included oriental lilies, white roses and sweet pink gerbera daisies in her floral display, worked in whole cross stitch with a few fractionals in the lilies’ stamens, and backstitch in four different shades of thread.
Framed in a special double hoop hanging, we can picture this being carried down the aisle behind the happy couple by a young flower girl - these petals won’t make anybody sneeze either! If you want to adapt the design for use as a wedding sampler, simply add the couple’s names and wedding date in the centre of the wreath and frame your stitching in a more traditional way.
In this guide, not only can you download the floral wreath cross stitch pattern for free but we will also show you how to mount your cross stitch as a double hoop, so it is ready for display when you gift it to the newlyweds.
Are you new to cross stitch? If so, or if you just want to brush up on your knowledge head over to our handy guide on how to cross stitch.
This beautiful floral wreath cross stitch pattern was designed by Amanda Gregory and originally published in The World of Cross Stitching issue 294.
Floral wreath cross stitch pattern fact box
- Stitching Time - Approx. 45 hours
- Type of Stitches - Cross stitch, fractionals, backstitch
- Ease of Stitching - Advanced beginner
- Fabric - Zweigart* 14-count white Aida measuring 43x43cm (17x17in)
- Threads - Stranded cotton as listed in the key
- Needle - Size 24 tapestry needle
- Extras - 12in and 5in wooden embroidery hoops, gold ribbon, and strong craft glue
Floral wreath cross stitch pattern free download
Click the link to download the floral wreath cross stitch pattern. The download is x4 A4 PDF with a floral wreath cross stitch pattern and accompanying key.
How to make a double mount:
- Wrap your hoops with ribbon by gluing the end of your ribbon to the inside of the hoop. Then wrap the ribbon around the hoop, over and over, until it’s completely covered and then glue the end in place. Wrap both the inner part of the 5in hoop and the outer part of the 12in hoop.
- Insert the unstitched area at the centre of your finished design into the 5in hoop. You want the outer part of the hoop (the part with the screw) to be on the back of your stitching and the solid inner hoop to be on the front.
- Insert the design into the 12in hoop, this time with the outer part of the hoop on the front of the design. Pull the fabric taut (like a drum), tightening the screw as you go to ensure that the fabric is secure – this can be a little tricky, so take your time.
- Make sure the hoop screws are as tight as possible. Trim away excess fabric from the outside of the hoop, leaving a 1cm (½in) border. Snip into this border at approx. 2cm (¾in) intervals and then use strong glue to afix the fabric to the inside of the 12in hoop. Then wait for the glue to completely dry.
- Cut into the centre of the design and trim away the excess fabric inside of the 5in hoop, leaving a 1cm (½in) border. Snip into the border at 2cm (¾in) intervals. Fold over and glue to the outside of the 5in hoop. Allow to dry. Finish with a piece of matching ribbon for hanging.
More like the floral wreath cross stitch pattern
If you loved the floral wreath cross stitch pattern then we have plenty more designs you might like. Browse through our range of free wedding cross stitch patterns, and find something you love. You'll also find these adorable Mini wedding cross stitch patterns for a quick make or try the cross stitch flower patterns! If you're not sure what project you'd like to take on next, get inspired by these modern cross stitch kits, which contain everything you need to create a beautiful stitch.
Bristol-based Amanda has been designing for cross stitch magazines for many years, including The World of Cross Stitching, Cross Stitch Gold and Cross Stitch Crazy. Her favourite designs are floral, wildlife, birds and nature themes. When not designing she enjoys dress-making, watercolour painting, reading (especially anything by Thomas Hardy) and gardening. The flowers in her garden become the subject matter for her watercolour paintings and she regulary visits Purbeck in Dorset with her family where we enjoy the coastal walks and stunning scenery. See more of her beautiful cross stitch patterns in her in her Etsy store.
SPRING SAVINGS! Subscribe from just £11.99 for 6 issues direct to your door.
Comments, questions and tips