40 ways to write a heartfelt engagement card message
Celebrate love by writing meaningful engagement wishes to the happy couple.
An engagement is a joyful time, so it’s only natural to want to celebrate in style. Whether you’re buying a card or making one yourself, you’ll need to add a thoughtful message inside.
If you’re close to the couple, you may find it easy to write a personal message to express your feelings, but sometimes it can become overwhelming.
When you’re struggling to think of what to write in your card, choosing an existing greeting can make the process a lot easier. You can use it as a starting point to spark your imagination.
Whatever you decide to write, we’re sure the happy couple will be thrilled to receive your card – it really is the thought that counts!
You can tailor your message to suit your relationship with the couple. We have engagement wishes for parents of the couple, children, friends and more.
We’ve found plenty of wonderful engagement card messages to inspire you! Read on to find the right one for you…
What do you say on an engagement card?
It’s easy to write an engagement card message if you follow a few simple steps. Begin by congratulating the pair on the news of their engagement.
Next, say how the news makes you feel. For example, you can say how thrilled you are for them or why you think they’re such a great match for one another.
If you like, you can finish the message with some kind wishes for their future happiness. Say how much you’re looking forward to celebrating their wedding with them (if you’re likely to be invited!).
Sign your card with “love”, “lots of love” or “best wishes”, depending how close you are to the couple!
40 best engagement card messages
Classic engagement card greetings
These simple engagement wishes are suitable for most occasions. Which one is your favourite?
- Congratulations on your engagement.
- Congratulations on your happy news!
- Wishing you years of happiness together.
- So excited to hear that you’re tying the knot!
- Here’s to the next chapter in your lives.
- Thrilled to hear your exciting news! I can’t wait to see you tie the knot.
- Congratulations! I can’t think of a more perfect match.
- Delighted to hear that you’re finally engaged! It’s been a long time coming.
- Congratulations! I’m so pleased to hear your news, but not surprised!
- I always knew that you were meant to be together. Congratulations!
- So happy to see two of my favourite people getting hitched!
- This is the best news I’ve heard in ages! Congratulations.
- I’m so pleased you’ve found your soulmate.
- Raising a glass to both of you and wishing you a long and happy life together.
Engagement card wishes for friends
There’s nothing more wonderful than when our friends find love! Show them how much you care with these heartfelt messages:
- Congratulations, I can’t believe that my best friend is getting married! I couldn’t be happier for you.
- Congratulations on your engagement! You and (insert name) are made for each other and I know that you’ll be very happy together.
- I’m so happy to hear your amazing news and I’m looking forward to celebrating with you soon.
- I’m so excited to hear your news. It’s incredible that two of my best friends are getting married!
- I never thought this day would come! Congratulations on your engagement.
- It’s great that you’ve found your partner in crime! Wishing you a long and happy life together.
- You deserve a long and happy life together. Sending you all my love!
- I’m so happy to call you both my friends and can’t wait for you to tie the knot.
- Congratulations on your engagement! I can’t wait to start planning the hen/stag do.
Engagement card messages for your child
Seeing your child getting engaged is a proud moment for any parent. Find the right words for the occasion with our thoughtful ideas:
- Congratulations on your engagement! I’m so proud of the person you’ve grown into and wish you and (insert name) every happiness in your married life.
- Congratulations on your happy news! I’m thrilled that you’ve decided to tie the knot and can’t wait to welcome (insert name here) into the family.
- I’m over the moon! I’ve been looking forward to this day for a long time and I’m delighted to gain another daughter/son.
- I’m so proud that you’ve found someone to share your life with and I’m looking forward to celebrating your big day with you!
- Since you were little, I’ve always wondered who you would end up with and I can’t imagine a better match for you than (name). Here’s to a long and happy life together!
- Enjoy creating wonderful memories together and treasure every moment.
Engagement messages for a parent
Help your mum or dad celebrate their love with these thoughtful greeting ideas:
- Best wishes on your engagement! I’m so pleased that you’ve found someone who loves and cares for you so deeply.
- Congratulations on finding someone to join you on all of your adventures!
- Congratulations on finding new love! You’ve found a perfect partner in (name) and I’m so happy that they’re going to be part of our family.
- What amazing news! I’m deeply thrilled for you both and am looking forward to celebrating with you on your big day.
- I know the last few years have been difficult and I’m so happy that you’ve found someone who loves and cherishes you as much as we do.
Engagement card messages for a sibling
Share your love for your beloved brother or sister with a personalised greeting! You can gently tease them if you have that kind of relationship, but if you’re unsure how your message will be received then it’s best to play it safe.
Here are a few ideas to help you get started:
- I can’t believe my little/big brother/sister is getting married! I’m over the moon that I’m gaining a new brother/sister-in-law and I’m so happy for you both.
- Congratulations! I’m so glad you’ve found someone who makes you happy and (name) is perfect for you.
- Congratulations on your engagement! I’m so excited that your partner is joining our family – he/she will fit right in!
- I’m so lucky to be gaining a new brother/sister! Nobody deserves happiness more than you two.
- I’m so proud of the kind, smart and thoughtful person you’ve grown into. You deserve the best and I think you’ve found it in your fiancė/fiancėe.
- Congratulations on finding someone who’ll put up with you! Just kidding, I’m thrilled for both of you and I can’t imagine a better match for you.
How to write personalised Christmas card messages
Discover how to write sparkling Christmas card messages with Gathered's festive greeting ideas.
5 fantastic engagement cards to buy
Now you know what to write in your card, it’s time to choose a stunning engagement card to send! Here are five of our favourite designs…
1. Map heart engagement card
Commemorate the place where the couple got engaged with a thoughtful map heart engagement card. You can add their names and the location to the front of the card to make it even more personal.
They’ll be able to save the card to remind them of the happy occasion!
- Buy the map heart engagement card from Not On The High Street
2. Engagement wildflower seed heart card
This is more than just a beautiful card – the heart is full of wildflower seeds! The couple can plant the heart in a pot or in the garden to grow their own spectacular wildflowers.
It would be the perfect engagement card for people who love gardening or spending time in nature.
3. You’re engaged card
This engagement card from Papier couldn’t be prettier! We love the gorgeous floral design and having the option to print our own message inside. It’s a good idea to check out the rest of Papier’s range if you’re looking for beautifully illustrated cards.
- Buy the you’re engaged card from Papier
4. Tie the knot card
Celebrate your favourite couple getting hitched with this clever tie knot-themed card. This would make a brilliant engagement or wedding card. Add your own personal printed note inside or order it as a blank to write your message by hand.
- Buy the tie the knot card from Papier
5. Papercut engagement card
This show-stopping card is a wonderful way to celebrate an engagement. This sweet papercut design can be personalised with the couple’s names to make it truly special.
- Buy the papercut engagement card from Not On The High Street
How to write meaningful engagement wishes
Writing a personal engagement card message isn’t always easy, even if you’re very close to the happy couple.
If you’re tired of staring at a blank page, it can help to have an existing engagement card message to inspire you. You don’t have to copy it exactly, but it can provide a good starting point for your own message.
More like this
Once you’ve settled on the right tone for your engagement card greeting, you can add your own feelings to make the card more thoughtful. It’ll take the stress out of the process and allow you to write something more heartfelt.
Now all you need to think about is sorting the wedding gift and card in time for the big day!
DIY wedding craft ideas for the perfect handmade wedding
If you’re close to the engaged couple, you’re probably going to be heavily involved in planning the wedding. Crafting your own decorations, place settings or invites can make the special day truly unique.
Start planning your dream handmade wedding with Gathered’s DIY wedding craft ideas.
Sarah Orme is a UK-based linocut printmaker, digital editor, feature writer and award-winning podcaster. She's been editing the sewing and art sections of Gathered.how – and before that our sister website calmmoment.com – for over 3 years. She’s the host of Gathered’s We’ve Made It podcast and A Calmer Life podcast. She’s a keen crafter and artist and loves creating DIY tutorials for Gathered. Sarah has previously written features for The Guardian, In The Moment Magazine, Project Calm Magazine, countryfile.com, radiotimes.com and yourhomestyle.uk. She enjoys designing her own unique lino prints and dreams of opening her own online shop. She shares her work @sarahormeprints
SPRING SAVINGS! Subscribe from just £11.99 for 6 issues direct to your door.
Comments, questions and tips