29 of the best Christmas quilt patterns
'tis the season to make the merriest of quilts! We've gathered up these favourite Christmas quilt patterns and downloads for you to sew for the holiday season.
Get ready to put the jingle bells into your sewing space with this merry round-up of our favourite festive quilt patterns to make Christmas patchwork that will be treasured in the family for years to come. Snuggle up under your new favourite family's Christmas quilt, try our free Christmas appliqué templates, make clever fabric-folded stocking fillers or piece full sized Christmas quilt patterns with this collection of merry and bright designs. We've included everything from modern Scandi- Christmas trees to traditional motifs, poinsettias to Christmas jumper-inspired designs. Get ready to ho ho sew (sorry but we can't resist a Christmas quilting pun).
For more seasonal quilts for other times of year, don't miss our free Easter quilt patterns and pick of the best Halloween quilt patterns. And if the quilt kits in this article get you in the mood for some speedy stash-sourcing, and you want to keep sewing into the new year and beyond, you might also like our guide to best quilt kits for beginners.
Best Christmas Quilt Patterns
1. Sew Scrappy Christmas trees!
Judith Dahmen's simple triangle trees are a great way to use up scraps from your fabric stash! Not only is this a lovely way to transform off cuts from your past projects into a new festive family heirloom, it's also a soothing sewing project to calm your soul if the run up to Christmas gets a bit too busy!
- Make it now – Christmas Trees Quilt Pattern
2. Ridiculously Easy Jelly Roll Quilt Kit - Holiday Moments Artisan Batiks
Create a beautiful Bargello quilt using precut fabric strips from Robert Kaufman's shimmering Holiday Moments range, as it's sewn from jelly roll strips, this is project that confident beginners could take on, or if you're already an experienced quilter you'll enjoy how quickly the quilt top comes together – especially if you're running out of time to get it finished before Christmas Eve.
- Buy it now: Easy Jelly Roll Quilt Kit and Pattern from Shabby Fabrics
3. Merry Wreath Mini Quilt Pattern
Piece together simple squares and half square triangles to make a modern patchwork with this mini quilt pattern from Trellis & Thyme on Etsy. The finished quilt will measure 20x22in – it would make a stunning Christmas table centrepiece or wall hanging.
- Download it now: Merry Wreath Merry Quilt Pattern
4. Paper piece Santa Claus quilt blocks
Sew ho ho we need this foundation-paper-pieced quilt pattern in our lives! Use up the tiniest of fabric scraps and transform them into the jolliest of quilt blocks. While this pattern is just for how to make 1 Santa quilt block, you could easily sew him into a larger quilt by placing him at the centre of a patchwork quilt top, or turn him into a cushion. The best bit? You can get a Mrs Clause paper piecing pattern to match.
- Buy it now – Christmas Houses Quilt Pattern from Royal Garden Designs on Etsy
5. Sew Appliqué Christmas puddings
Technically a cushion sewing pattern, we've included these calorie-free puds can easily be added to a quilt top for a scrumptious sewing project. The finished effect can be adjusted to use traditional fabrics or modern prints for different finishes. Make them into an 18 inch cushion, try the bonus pattern of a table runner or go big and add them to a full-size quilt project. You'll get to practise your raw edge appliqué when you make them.
- Buy the pattern – The Crafty Nomad Fleet Ho ho ho cushion
6. Knitted star quilt
Lo and Behold Stitchery has created one of our absolute favourite Christmas quilt patterns in this round up – taking inspiration from traditional Fair isle knitting patterns to make an eye-catching, two-tone quilt that you'll treasure for years. You have the option to make it as a traditional or modern version, in 3 sizes – wall hanging, throw or bed.
- Buy the PDF pattern now – Knitted Star Quilt Pattern from Lo and Behold Stitchery
7. Kris Kringle Quilt Pattern
We love it when designers manage to work their magic and create intricate, magical shapes and patterns from fabric using traditional patchwork piecing. The result means this impressive-looking quilt is actually easy to make for those with little quilting experience. The pattern also comes with an optional paper piecing pattern and templates too.
- Buy the PDF pattern now – Kris Kringle Quilt Pattern from Pen and Paper Patterns
8. Flurry by Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics
Another impressive quilt pattern that uses traditional piecing for truly clever effects are these patchwork parcels from Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics. The finished quilt will measure 55x65 inches and it will look great on a bed in the run up to Christmas.
- Make it now – Get the free presents quilt pattern on Kate Spain's website.
9. Retro Ornaments Quilt
Inspired by the vintage ornaments that the designer's grandmother gave her, we love this classic quilt pattern with a really modern feel. With its white backdrop that makes the colour of the foreground baubles pop, you can so easily switch up the feel to suit your home by picking your favourite fabrics for the different baubles.
- Get the PDF pattern – Retro Ornaments Pattern by Lo and Behold Stitchery
10. Snowflake quilt pattern
Modern Handcraft's snowflake quilt has been popping up in our instagram feed and adding a much-needed pop of joy for a while now, thanks to the jam-packed hashtag #snowflakequilt. This is a great scrap buster as it suits scrappy fabrics, and it's beginner-friendly as its pieced using whole squares and the odd half square triangle. Once complete it will measure 60x72in.
- Get the pattern from Modern Handcraft
11. Santa in the Trees Quilt Pattern
OK. So we're only number 11 in this round-up but could it be we've peaked Christmas with this one? Loving these scandi-style rows of Christmas trees by Ahhh Christmas – set against a modern white background, complete with one cheeky Father Christmas in the mix! This is a PDF pattern so you can download it instantly and it makes a quilt that measures 50x60in.
- Get the pattern – Santa in the Trees from Ahhh Quilting
12. Row by Row Christmas jumper quilt
When it comes to classic quilts, you can't beat Lynne Goldsworthy's eye-catching quilt designs, and this Row by Row Christmas jumper quilt from issue 54 of Today's Quilter magazine is one of our all time favourite Christmas quilt patterns.
- Make it now – To get the pattern, download the digital issue 54 from the Today's Quilter app.
13. Make a patchwork tree skirt
You know you want to! Luckily for you, we have an awesome free pattern here on Gathered to get you started, designed by Sally Stevens for Today's Quilter magazine.
14. Sew a modern patchwork wreath
If you're looking for a festive quilt with a contemporary, abstract feel, get stitching Alyce Blyth's Holly & Ivy Quilt – this beginner-friendly mini quilt is inspired by a Christmas wreath, recreated in half square triangles. We love it for it's clean lines and lots of white space in the pale blending background, but if you wanted to add extra festive pop, you could also appliqué little red berries.
- Make it now – Alyce's pattern is in issue 53 of Love Patchwork & Quilting – it's available as a digital edition via the Love Patchwork & Quilting app
15. Christmas Keepsake Christmas quilt kit
One of the more traditional and advanced quilts in this round up, it could well be the one for you if you want to go 100%, full on Christmas and you love all the traditions and childhood magic that it evokes. It's designed by Deb Strain and Barb of Coach House Designs and comes with all the fabric you need to make the quilt top and binding.
- Buy the quilt kit – Christmas Keepsake Quilt Kit from Acorn Quilt Studio on Etsy
16. Holly Jolly quilt pattern
Santa's Elves have come early and delivered the ultimate in quilty collabs – check out the Holly Jolly Quilt pattern by Then Came June and Pen+Paper Patterns! Part of The Modern Holiday Quilt Collection, this joyful modern quilt is inspired by holly berries and is block based, making it beginner friendly. Your finished quilt will measure 57½ in square.
- Get the PDF pattern – Holly Jolly Quilt Pattern by Then Came June
17. Candy cane patchwork pot holder
We really wanted to include a candy cane quilt in this round up but were surprised to find they're few and far between (feel free to email us if you have a favourite candy cane quilt we haven't thought of!). So we're featuring this super cute pot holder tutorial from Fat Quarter Shop.
- Head over to check out their free tutorial for how to turn this beautiful Candy Canes Block from Lori Holt’s Vintage Christmas Book into a pretty and practical addition to your festive kitchen.
18. Free Christmas appliqué templates
We’re sharing this folk-art-style appliqué patterns, free from the Today's Quilter archives.We first featured Mandy’s Merry Christmas Wall Hanging (pictured below) way back in issue 2 and it has been one of our most popular ever Christmas projects, and so we’re bringing you a taster of it today!
- Make it now – Free Christmas tree appliqué templates
19. Sew the snow! Foundation Paper Piece snowflake blocks
We’re bringing you this free tutorial for how to piece a snowflake quilt block. This beautiful block by Lynne Goldsworthy is the perfect frosty… and is the perfect excuse to practise your Foundation Paper Piecing for crisp points and frosty effects.
20. Holidays Stars Quilt
Combine stars and pinwheels to make a classic festive quilt top that will be a family heirloom for generations to come.
- Buy the pattern – Holiday stars quilt pattern by Gerri Robinson for Quilting Digest
21. Dresden Plate wreath
Why sew a full sized quilt when you can whip up the cutest of festive minis? We love this Mini Dresden Wreath Hanging from Berry Birdy on Etsy. Easy to piece using fabric scraps it will make a lovely handmade touch to your annual Christmas decorations.
- Get the PDF pattern – Mini Dresden Wreath Hanging by Berry Birdy Etsy
22. Poinsettia quilt pattern
Nothing says Christmas like Poinsettia petals and now you can stitch a quilt pattern that mixes traditional floral designs with this Fig Tree Quilts pattern from Moda. T$6here are no tricky Y-Seams to fox you so this is a good pattern for a confident beginner or intermediate quilter.
- Get the Poinsettia quilt pattern (Fat Quarter Shop)
23. Gingerbread quilt pattern
Gracie Larson's Gingerbread quilt pattern first caught our eye when it was featured in Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine – see how some of our favourite quilters took on these traditionally pieced quilt blocks with the hashtag #gingerbreadquiltqal.
- Make it now – the pattern is still available when you download issue 66 via the LP&Q app.
24. Anyone for a Snowman mini quilt?
Just kidding. Of COURSE we all want to make a Snowman mini quilt! Quick to piece, this friendly Frosty mini will make a lovely table decoration or wall hanging and you've got plenty of time to whip it up before the Holidays officially begin.
- Get the downloadable pattern – Snowman Mini Quilt Pattern from The Sweetwater Co on Etsy
25. Piece a quilt top that twinkles
Metallic touches are the perfect way to give your Christmas quilts a dash of extra magic. Susan Standen's contemporary Christmas Star Quilt pattern ticks all the festive boxes!
- Get the free pattern here on Gathered – Christmas Star Quilt pattern
26. Nutcracker quilt – free templates
We don't use the word stunning about quilt patterns very often – but this classic Nutcracker Christmas quilt by Mandy Shaw for issue 54 of Today's Quilter magazine really is.
- Get the free Nutcracker quilt templates – here on Gathered
Best Christmas patchwork projects to use up your fabric stash
27. Sew a Patchwork wreath
Weave pretty fabrics from your stash into Samantha Claridge's fabric wreath DIY.
- Make it now – Free wreath sewing pattern
28. Cathedral window pin cushion stocking filler
Todays's Quilter magazine are sharing this lovely little DIY gift idea for sewing fans in the family... Whip up a Cathedral Window pin cushion by Laura Pritchard as part of a pair of vintage-style sewing table accessories.
How to make a Cathedral Window pin cushion
29. Foundation Paper Piece sweet gift tags
Use up even the smallest of fabric scraps and turn them into sweetly stitched gift tags with our set of free FPP patterns.
Zoe is Senior Editor of Gathered.how, with over a decade of craft publishing experience under her belt. She's a quilter and sewist who works with the UK’s best-selling craft magazines including Today’s Quilter, Love Patchwork & Quilting, Simply Sewing and The World of Cross Stitching. Zoe loves being immersed in Gathered’s quilting content, tweaking our tutorials and publishing new patterns. Zoe has previously written for radiotimes.com, Simply Knitting and The World of Cross Stitching and was previously Deputy Editor of Papercraft inspirations magazine. She has guest-lectured at Bath Spa University. She’s a keen quilter with 5 projects in progress at any one time and another 12 or so planned.