Kind, caring, and often inspirational, teachers play an important part in children’s lives, so make sure to say a huge thank you with these delightful teacher cross stitch patterns designed by Rhona Norrie.
With the end of the school year in sight, it’s time to turn our thoughts to those other adults that spend so much time with our kids – teachers! Their hard work and dedication definitely deserve to be rewarded, so let them know just how special they are with these free teacher cross stitch patterns.
From backstitched sentiments to a blackboard and even a bookworm, there’s bound to be something for everyone. We’ve also included an ABC to personalise your cards and cross stitch gifts. Or, why not get little ones to stitch one of the simpler designs themselves to make an extra-special gift?
These free teacher cross stitch patterns were designed by Rhona Norrie and originally published in issue 191 of Cross Stitch Crazy. If that wasn’t enough Rhona Norrie has also designed four free back to school cross stitch designs perfect for things like cards, coasters, and bags which you can download below.
If you’re looking for a refresher or are new to cross stitching take a look at our how to cross stitch guide. Looking for something else? Check out our free cross stitch patterns, and get inspired for your next project.
Teacher cross stitch patterns fact box
- Stitch time – 1-3 hours approx each
- Threads – Stranded cotton as listed in the key
- Needle – Size 24/26 tapestry needle – if you need help check out our cross stitch needle sizes guide
- Fabric – 14-count white aida measuring 10x10cm (4x4in) for all designs except plastic canvas and aida band. 14-count clear plastic canvas measuring 10x10cm (4x4in). Zweigart 16-count 5cm (2in) wide white aida band with both red trim and white trim, cut to required length
- Card – to mount your finished cross stitch
Stitches needed for the teacher cross stitch patterns
- Whole cross stitch – cross stitch for beginners
- Backstitch – check out this handy guide on how to backstitch
- French knots – How to do a French knot
If you need more guidance on stitches, take a look at our cross stitch glossary.
Download the teacher cross stitch patterns
Click the link to download the teacher cross stitch patterns. The download is 3x A4 PDFs with 35 free teacher cross stitch patterns with a chart and accompanying key.
Back to school cross stitch patterns
Rhona Norrie has also designed four cute back to school patterns, which can be used on your little one’s backpacks, pencil cases and much more or you could also use these designs to create thoughtful gifts for the teacher. The patterns include:
- ‘Teachers rule’ pattern
- School exercise pattern
- World globe pattern
- Art materials pattern
About these designs
- Maximum stitch count: 30 high x 35 wide
- Design area: 14 HPI (28-count evenweave) – 5.5×6.5cm (2×2½in)
Download the free back to school cross stitch patterns
Find them here: Free back-to-school cross stitch patterns.
What to do with your teacher cross stitch patterns
Once you’ve chosen your favourite designs, you’re going to need to decide how you display them, whether that’s mounting them on a greetings card or attaching them to a gift tag, here’s a few ideas to get you started:
- Pencil Case – Patch a motif onto a pencil case to give the teacher a special gift that’ll come in handy
- Coaster – Make up a square-shaped design as a coaster they can show off in the staff room
- Pencil pot – Stitch different motifs onto Aida band and wrap around a pencil pot
- Box of chocolates – Use a smaller design to make a gift tag and attach to a box of chocolates
- Book mark – Use a smaller design and stitch onto plastic canvas for a fun bookmark
- Greetings card – Use the alphabet pattern along with a motif of your choice to personalise a greetings card
- Framed – Mount your finished stitching in a mini frame for a sweet gift teacher can keep on their desk
- Fridge magnet – Turn your finished stitching into a fridge magnet by backing with felt, then attaching a magnetic strip
- Keyring – Stitch a small chart to make a cool keyring that’ll remind them of their favourite pupil!
More like the teacher cross stitch patterns
If you loved the teacher cross stitch patterns, we think you’d love these cross stitch cards patterns, these cute patterns are perfect for many occasions. If you’ve got greetings cards on the mind head over to these cute cat cross stitch patterns, perfect for making all types of cards! If you’d like to get the kids involved and learning to stitch their own patterns, take a look at these simple children’s cross stitch patterns to get them started.