Cross stitch needle size guide
Read about the different cross stitch needles and how to pick the right cross stitch needle size to match your fabric.
Tapestry needle size guide
You will need a blunt tapestry needle for cross stitch. Pick the cross stitch needle sizes that matches the count of your fabric. You can find the cross stitch needle sizes you need by referring to the table below. It shows cross stitch needles at actual size, so you can also use it to identify cross stitch needles you have that you don't know what size they are.
Needle size chart
- 6-count Aida fabric: Use size 18 cross stitch needles
- 8-count Aida fabric: Use size 20 cross stitch needles
- 11 count Aida fabric: Use size 22 cross stitch needles
- 14-count Aida fabric: Use size 24 cross stitch needles
- 16-count Aida fabric: Use size 26 cross stitch needles
- 18-count Aida fabric: Use size 28 cross stitch needles
- 28-count evenweave fabric over two strands: Use size 24 cross stitch needles
- 32-count evenweave fabric over two strands: Use size 26 cross stitch needles
- 36-count evenweave fabric over two strands: Use size 28 cross stitch needles
- 22-count hardanger fabric: Use size 26 cross stitch needles
Where to buy cross stitch needles
Want to find out more about cross stitch?
We hope you found this advice on cross stitch needle sizes helpful. If you are looking for advice on getting started in cross stitch, check out our cross stitch for beginners article or find out more about cross stitch thread and cross stitch fabric. If you want to take a look at the free cross stitch patterns we have available for you on Gathered, we have lots of brilliant designs for you! For floral inspirations, try out our lavender cross stitch patterns and our sunflower cross stitch pattern, or browse our selection of cross stitch flower patterns. If you are looking for simple designs that are great for beginners try our children's cross stitch patterns or our cat cross stitch patterns. For fun cards that are always popular, try our caterpillar cross stitch patterns or for more grown-up celebrations, our gorgeous cross stitch cards for all occasions. Don't miss our special stitch of Durene Jones cross stitch fox pattern either!
Hannah has worked on Gathered for 2 years, since our launch in 2019. At school Hannah learned to knit collaborating on dorcas blankets – now she edits our knitting section. She inherited her love of stitching and embroidery from her talented grandmother, and her passion for thread led her to be Editor of The World of Cross Stitching for six years. Card making is a more recent passion, developing from her position as editor of Cross Stitch Card Shop. She loves using kinetic techniques to make cards that move – she was editor of Papercraft inspirations magazine for over four years, creating loads of card making video tutorials at www.youtube.com/PapercraftTV.