81 ways to write a new home card message
Looking for the perfect message to congratulate someone on their new home? We’ve got it covered with our inspiring card ideas
Moving house often marks an important milestone in life, whether you’re buying your first home, moving away or moving in with a loved one. You could be relocating for a new job, heading overseas or settling into a new family home.
It’s usually a time for celebration, even if the process of moving can be stressful! It can be difficult to know what to write in a new home or housewarming card, but we’ve found lots of appropriate greetings for every occasion.
There are times when people need to move house because of bereavement, a relationship breakdown or a change in circumstances. When you’re sending a card on these occasions, you need to be sensitive and compassionate, offering help if you’re able to do so. You should acknowledge their situation and wish them the best for the future.
The best card messages are personal and friendly, so use our phrases as a starting point for your own greetings. You don’t need to write a lengthy message (the best ones are short and sweet!), but you can make it your own by adding your own unique style to the greetings. You can even add your own jokes!
More like this
If you find it tricky to come up with the right words to write in your cards, then read on to explore our new home card message suggestions.
General new home card messages
Keep it simple with these classic new home card messages, which will be appropriate for most recipients:
- Congratulations on your new home
- Can’t wait to see your new place!
- May your new home always be full of laughter and love
- Hope you make wonderful memories in your new home
- Wishing you the best of luck in your new home
- Home is wherever you are
- Home sweet home
- New beginnings
- So happy you’re here!
- Welcome to your new home
- I feel at home when I’m with you
- When can we visit?
- Wishing you peace and happiness in your new home
- All the best in your new home, I hope you and your family are very happy there!
- We will miss you and hope to visit soon
- Looking forward to popping over for a cup of tea soon
- Welcome to the neighbourhood!
- Let the DIY begin…
- Congratulations on the move!
- Looking forward to toasting your new home soon
- Happy housewarming!
- Good luck in your new home
- Wishing you many happy years in your new home
- Enjoy settling into your new place
- Keep in touch and don’t forget about us
- Congratulations on your new home. It’s time to put your feet up and enjoy it!
- Happy moving day!
- Congratulations on your new pad
- Good luck with your next adventure
- There’s no place like home
- Home is where the heart is
- New home, new beginnings
- Wishing you every happiness in your new home
- Congratulations on your exciting new chapter!
- Congratulations on your new apartment
- Congratulations on finding your dream home
First home card messages
Buying your first house is an exciting step, whether you’re moving by yourself, with your partner or with your family. Here are some joyful message ideas to celebrate moving into a first home:
- Congratulations on your first home!
- Congratulations on your new family home! I hope you make lots of happy memories there
- Congratulations on your new home! Enjoying making it your own
- Looking forward to seeing what you do with the place!
- Looking forward to celebrating with you in your first home
- Congratulations, you’re officially a homeowner!
- A place to call your own
- You’ve made it onto the property ladder!
- Good luck in your new home, I know how hard you’ve worked for this
- Wishing you happiness in your first home together
New family home card messages
When you move to a new family home, it’s often a time of great excitement and anticipation, especially for those with children. They may be looking forward to having enough space for everyone or making room for a growing family!
Whatever their situation, help them celebrate with some warm greetings:
- Home is where the heart is
- Congratulations on finding a wonderful home for your family
- Congratulations to you and your family in your forever home
- A lovely home for a lovely family
- Enjoy making new memories in your new place
- Hoping that your home is filled with joy and laughter
- Congratulations on finding a place where your family can grow and thrive
Moving away card messages
It’s a sad time when friends and relatives move away, even if you’re happy for them. Try one of our moving away messages to show them you care:
- Good luck in your new home. You will be missed!
- Congratulations on your new home. Keep the spare room free for me
- Come back and visit soon
- Looking forward to visiting your new home
- Let us know how you’re settling in
- Hope you’ll come back and see us soon
- Don’t forget about us!
- We’re sad to see you go, but can’t wait to hear about all of your new adventures
Moving abroad card messages
Celebrate a move to a new country with these travel-themed greetings:
- Imagine the places you’ll go
- A grand adventure is about to begin
- Let your dreams take flight
- Send me a postcard when you get there!
- Congratulations on your exciting move! I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures
- Congratulations on your new home overseas! You will be missed
- Wishing you a safe journey and happy times in your new home
- Good luck with your big move!
- Bon voyage!
- Wishing you all the best on your new adventures. Don’t forget to keep in touch!
New neighbour card messages
Want to welcome a new neighbour to your street? Pop over to see them with a welcome card:
- Welcome to the neighbourhood!
- Welcome to the area! We hope you love living here as much as we do
- Happy moving day! Let us know if you need to borrow anything
- Welcome to your new home! We’re looking forward to meeting you soon
- Congratulations on your new home! You’re going to love it here
Moving due to a change of circumstances
Not every move is a happy one, so here are a few messages you could send to someone going through a difficult time. You may need to tweak the wording to suit the person you’re sending it to:
- Thinking of you in your new home
- I’m sorry that you’ve been through such a difficult time and hope you settle in your new home
- Good luck with the move. I am here if you need any help
- I’m sorry you’ve had to move away. I hope that this will be a fresh start for you
- Good luck with your fresh start! Wishing you all the best for the future
Celebrate life's big moments
Know someone who is getting engaged? Check out our perfect engagement card messages.
5 new home cards to buy
Looking for a housewarming card to send to a friend or relative? If you don't have a card-making kit to craft your own, check out these cute designs to buy and personalise…
1. Papier home card
This adorable card from Papier has a sweet folk art-inspired design. It’s bound to delight anyone who receives it! You can have your own personalised message printed into the card or order a blank copy if you prefer to send a handwritten message.
For more inspiration take a look at the rest of Papier’s new home card range as they have lots of beautiful designs to choose from.
- Buy a new home card from Papier
2. New home bauble card
If you’re looking for a seasonal design, this sweet card is perfect for Christmas! It comes with a white wooden bauble, which can be personalised with a message for the new homeowner. It’s a lovely way to celebrate their first Christmas in their new home.
- Order the first Christmas new home bauble card from Not On The High Street
3. Map location new home card
This map location card is a really clever way to celebrate a move. The card features a map of the area where the new home is located – cut into the shape of a heart. You can also add your own personalised message to the front of the card.
- Get the map location new home card from Not On The High Street
4. Grand new pad card
We love the charming vintage style of this card from Papier, which features a green frog sitting on a lily pad. You can write your own personal message by hand or choose to have it printed.
- Buy the grand new pad card from Papier
5. Thortful cat card
This card would be brilliant for the cat lover in your life. We all know how much cats love a box and moving house means that there are always plenty of them around. If you’re looking for other occasions, Thortful has lots of other fun options to choose from.
Writing a personalised new home card message
Moving into a new home is a rite of passage for many people. It can mark a fresh start or even a big lifestyle change.
There are lots of exciting reasons for a house move, from moving in with a new partner to buying your first home. You might be relocating for work or settling into a new home for your retirement.
Sadly the reasons for a move are not always positive and people sometimes have to relocate due to a change in their circumstances. In such cases, it’s worth acknowledging the difficult times they’ve been through and offering support if you can.
Whatever the circumstances, take the time to look through lots of potential message ideas so that you can choose the right one and tailor it to suit your needs. It’s always worth giving your greeting a personal and thoughtful touch that the recipient will appreciate!
Wrap up your housewarming gift the eco-friendly way
It’s traditional to give a gift when someone moves into a new home, but it can feel wasteful to use wrapping paper. We love the Japanese wrapping technique called Furoshiki – it involves knotting a piece of fabric around your gift to make it look stylish. The fabric can then be reused again and again.
Discover the art of Furoshiki wrapping with Gathered.
Sarah Orme is a UK-based linocut printmaker, digital editor, feature writer and award-winning podcaster. She's been editing the sewing and art sections of Gathered.how – and before that our sister website calmmoment.com – for over 3 years. She’s the host of Gathered’s We’ve Made It podcast and A Calmer Life podcast. She’s a keen crafter and artist and loves creating DIY tutorials for Gathered. Sarah has previously written features for The Guardian, In The Moment Magazine, Project Calm Magazine, countryfile.com, radiotimes.com and yourhomestyle.uk. She enjoys designing her own unique lino prints and dreams of opening her own online shop. She shares her work @sarahormeprints
SPRING SAVINGS! Subscribe from just £11.99 for 6 issues direct to your door.
Comments, questions and tips