Men are notoriously difficult to stitch for, so we thought we’d help you out with a collection of summer cross stitch for men that are colourful, cool, and ideal for modern birthday cards and gifts. Stitched in summery shades of red, white, and blue, there’s definitely a great British feel to these cross stitch for men that is perfect for those who are celebrating birthdays that fall in the summer holidays.
Whether you’re stitching for an adventurous sailor, an explorer who loves taking his campervan on the road, or for someone who loves to bring out the bunting and throw a good party, you’ll find just the right way to wish them many happy returns here. Not just for birthdays though, these cross stitch patterns for men can be stitched for thank yous, invitations, and congratulations, too.
There are two free sets available to download, the first is the cards by Lucy Heaton and the second is the gifts for men from Susan Bates.
Each of our motifs is fairly easy to work, so stitchers of all abilities should feel confident about having a go. If you do need a bit of a refresher on the different stitches you’ll need, check out our Cross stitch for beginners guide.
About the cross stitch for men by Lucie Heaton
- Stitching time:4-6 hours each
- Type of stitches: Cross stitch, backstitch
- Level: Beginner
- Threads: Stranded cotton as listed in the key
- Needle: Size 24 tapestry needle
- Fabric: 14-count white Aida measuring a maximum of 15x15cm (6x6in) for each design; 14-count 2in wide white Aida band, cut to the width of your gift bag
- Extras: Cards and a gift bag of your choice from your local craft shop – or make your own with our DIY aperture card tutorial
Download the cross stitch for men by Lucie Heaton
Click to download the cross stitch for men PDF. The PDF is an A4 page with 3 charts, backstitch greetings, and a key.
Find more designs from Lucie Heaton at www.lucieheaton.com
About the cross stitch for men by Susan Bates
We’re eager for a day out just looking at these summery cross stitch for men. Create cool gifts, brimming with ocean blues, fresh turquoise, and warm peach shades. Featuring all manner of ships, sealife, and fishing, these quick and easy motifs are perfect for creating coastal-themed cards, gift tags, and more. Get stitching these cross stitch for men and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the seaside in your own home!
Find more colourful designs from Susan Bates at https://www.susanbates.co.uk
- Stitch Time – 1-8 hours each (approx)
- Stitch Types – Whole cross stitch, fractionals, backstitch, French knots
- Threads – Stranded cotton as listed in the key
- Needle – Size 24 tapestry needle (if you need help take a look at this cross stitch needle sizes guide)
- Fabric – Zweigart 14-count white Aida measuring a maximum of 15x15cm (6x6in) for most designs, 2in white Aida band cut to the desired length, and 14-count soluble canvas.
Download the cross stitch for men by Susan Bates
Click to download the cross stitch for men. The PDF download contains 35 motifs to stitch, plus a key.
More cross stitch for men
Try our Boats at sea cross stitch patterns or our Free sailing boat cross stitch pattern if you know a man who likes to get out on the water. Nature lovers and gardeners will enjoy our Bee cross stitch pattern. If you are looking for a design for a man who is your number one, try our Free gold medal cross stitch pattern, or for the DIY fan in your life, how about this Free toolkit cross stitch pattern. For men to like to get out and work their spokes, you need our Free bike cross stitch patterns