Sad to be missing your annual fix of crafty goodness at the Autumn Knitting and Stitching Shows? This new digital event will offer competitions, workshops, studio tours and a shopping hub to bring you all the best bits of these highlights in our annual craft calendar.
The community hub of the digital event will be the textile self portrait competition, and we’d love you to enter. Entrants will need to create a self-portrait to the size specified in the rules, in any textile medium they wish to. Everything from cross-stitch and embroidery through to screen-printing, feltwork, beadwork, a quilt or a knitted jumper is welcome. As long as it has textiles as the basis, you can enter it!
Entries will be submitted using our online entry form at www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/self-portrait-competition/ where you will upload a high-resolution photograph of your self-portrait. All entries will be shown as a gallery of images on the website, from which the judges – Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn – will choose one overall winner and one runner up.
The main winner will win massive bragging rights and prestige, along with £1000! There will be smaller prizes for a runner up, and for each of the Children’s categories, which include:
- Children aged 5 – 10 (free to enter)
- Children 11 – 17 (free to enter)
- £10.00 per person.
- Children under 16 are free to enter.
Dates and Deadlines
- Friday 20th November – Deadline for entries
- Friday 27th November – Entries online
- Friday 4th December – Winners announced
Judging and Prizes
- Judging will take place between 30th November and 3rd December and winners will be told on 4th December.
- Renowned textile artists Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn will judge the competition.
- To impress the judges and be in with the chance of winning, your work must have a strong visual / aesthetic impact and the maker should demonstrate:
– Mastery of the chosen technique
– Appropriate choice and use of thread/fabric/materials
– Good use of colour
– Strong composition
– A high level of skill in the execution of the piece
- The main prize is £1,000 awarded to the winner of the Adult category. There will also be prizes for one adult runner up and for each of the children’s age groups.
- There will also be People’s Choice Award sponsored by Barnyarns, voted for by the public via our website.Prize TBC
Rules of entry
The rules are relatively flexible, in that entries may have been entered into other competitions (only prize-winners are exempt) and work entered may have been exhibited previously. The work does not have to have been made recently; portraits made in the past are welcome alongside more recent pieces.
Self-portraits should be of the face / head of the maker and any angle of the face will be accepted (side view, forward facing etc). Abstract pieces are welcome but ideally the work should be recognisable as a face. Full rules and terms of entry can be found online at https://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/self-portrait-competition/