We’ve been brushing up on our English Paper Piecing skills after reading the tips and techniques by Carolyn Forster in the English Paper Piecing project booklet that came free with issue 7 of Today’s Quilter magazine. Once you get hooked you won’t be able to stop!
If you’re new to English Paper Piecing
Or you’d like a refresher on how it’s done, read our English Paper Piecing tutorial post before you get started on this project.
You will need
- Fabric A (green) 2½in x WOF strip
- Fabric B (purple) 2½in x WOF strip
- Fabric C (linen) 12in x WOF
- Paper pieces – Eighteen (18) 2in
- 6-point diamonds, twelve (12) triangles – six (6) diamonds cut in half), and one (1) large triangle
- Polyester toy stuffing
- Thread to tone with fabric
Free patchwork templates
- Free patchwork pincushion templates
- Need more paper diamond templates? Download our Free Diamond English Paper Piecing Quilting Templates!
- 7in high x 8in base
From fabric A cut nine (9) diamonds ¼in larger than the paper pieces.
From fabric B cut three (3) diamonds.
From fabric C cut as follows: six (6) diamonds, twelve (12) triangles (diamonds cut in half) and one (1) large triangle (see template).
Making the patchwork
Join together six (6) diamonds and four (4) triangles to make one pyramid side (Fig 1). Make three (3) of these in total.
Join together the three pyramid sides, right sides together as shown in Fig 2.
Add the large fabric C triangle as shown in Fig 3, this is the base of the pyramid.
Now join the long straight edges of the two pieced sides, right sides together to form the pyramid, with the large triangle for the base still flapping (Fig 4).
Stitch the remaining two sides of the base piece to the side piece, leaving a 3in hole in the middle of one side to turn though and stuff.
Remove all of the paper pieces and turn right-sides out.
Stuff until you are happy with the firmness. Stitch the hole closed with ladderstitch (Fig 5)