Free Flourish Quilt Appliqué Templates
Stitch up a spectacular explosion of colour using curvy appliqué and a clever bias binding technique. Colby Radcliffe's Flourish templates and quilt layout guide are here to help.
Ever since we featured Colby Radcliffe's show-stopping Flourish quilt in issue 58 of Love Patchwork & Quilting, we've loved seeing your new versions of it. In this post you can find the fabric requirements, templates and layout guides to make this project.
For the full instructions, download the Love Patchwork & Quilting app to purchase issue 58 of LPQ from our digital back issues archive.
Stitch the rainbow! Bright fabric collections like Chroma by Alison Glass are great for a project like this
You will need
- Fabric A and B: one (1) fat quarter each
- Fabric C – P: one (1) fat eighth each (fourteen total)
- Fabric Q – Y: one (1) fat sixteenth each (nine total)
- Background fabric: 3½yds
- Bias binding fabric: 1¼yds
- Fusible web: 2½yds (at least 24in width)
- ¼n bias tape making tool
- One copy each of Templates A1–A31 and B1–B31 (see Notes)
- One copy each of Design Layout A and Design Layout B (see Notes)
- Fabric marking pen/pencil
- Glue pen and glue refills
- Backing fabric: 4½yds
- Batting: 66in x 78in
- Binding fabric: 1½yd
60in x 72in
- Seam allowances are ¼in, unless otherwise noted.
- Press seams open, unless otherwise instructed.
- Templates include seam allowances, where necessary.
- Design Layout does not include seam allowance.
- Wash and press all fabrics well
- Colby used Steam a Seam Lite for her fusible web.
- Print fabrics are Chroma by Alison Glass for Andover Fabrics.
- Bias binding and binding fabric is Manchester in Onyx by Robert Kaufman.
- Background fabric is Essex Linen Mix
- Homespun in Charcoal by Robert Kaufman
Flourish Quilt Templates and Layout Guide
Zoe is the launch Editor of Gathered.how. She has over a decade of craft publishing experience under her belt. She's a quilter and sewist who works with the UK’s best-selling craft magazines including Today’s Quilter, Love Patchwork & Quilting, Simply Sewing and The World of Cross Stitching. Zoe loves being immersed in Gathered’s quilting content, tweaking our tutorials and publishing new patterns. Zoe has previously written for radiotimes.com, Simply Knitting and The World of Cross Stitching and was previously Deputy Editor of Papercraft inspirations magazine. She has guest-lectured at Bath Spa University. She’s a keen quilter with 5 projects in progress at any one time and another 12 or so planned.
BETTER THAN HALF PRICE SUBSCRIPTIONS! Save up to £65 on magazine shop price!
Comments, questions and tips