We know it was a blow when we learned that this year’s The Festival of Quilts would be postponed, but all is not lost. Faced with the loss of their annual venue at the Birmingham NEC, organisers are throwing themselves into Virtual quilt gatherings. Here’s what they’ve got lined up next for you…
The team behind The Festival of Quilts are bring the quilting community together virtually for a new set of online masterclasses taking place this Winter. The series follows their successful Beyond The Festival of Quilts virtual Festival in place of the real deal this Summer – so you don’t have to let the global pandemic get in the way of you diving head-first into quilting classes this Autumn.
Introducing Beyond The Festival of Quilts
Beyond The Festival of Quilts officially launched back in July to mark what would have been the opening day of The Festival of Quilts, with a live awards ceremony to see the winners of the Virtual Quilt Competition, followed by a range of exciting virtual events lined up to treat us quilters to some of the highlights of the Festival from the comfort of our own homes. Now they’re gearing up for their Autumn programme of virtual masterclases from your favourite quilt pros!
Join in with these upcoming Beyond The Festival of Quilts events
Book today to be a part of 6 live Masterclasses brought to you by our Festival of Quilts expert tutors; Dawn Cameron Dick, Sarah Ashford, Kerry Green, Pat Archibald, Jo Avery and Gillian Cooper and quilt along live from the comfort of your own home via a digital Zoom tutorial.
You’ll receive a link to tune in live and quilt along with the tutors, and you can also watch on-demand until 31 December 2020. Sessions cost £20 per person. If you are unable to watch ‘live’, snap up your spot and book now, as prices are expected to go up after the event. Here’s a full lineup for this Autumn’s events…
Friday 4 December
- Terrific Transfer Printing with Gillian Cooper, 2.30pm
- Dandelion Clock Block with Jo Avery, 2.30pm
- Pretty Little Poinsettia with Pat Archibald, 4.30pm
Thursday 10 December
- Improv Quilt-As-You-Go, 10am
- No Curved Piecing Seeds with Dawn Cameron Dick, 12.30pm
- Moon and Stars Needle Turn Applique with Kerry Green, 4.30pm
Book your tickets now! More details below…
Beyond The Festival of Quilts: Winter Masterclass programme
Terrific Transfer Printing with Gillian Cooper
Friday 4 December, 14:30 GMT, 90 minutes
Transfer printing is a fabulous technique for achieving instant, bright colour onto synthetic fabric, relatively mess free.
- Properties of transfer paints
- A variety of techniques of mark making
- How to use masks with transfer printing
- How to exploit some of the properties of different synthetic fabrics.
Dandelion Clock Block with Jo Avery
Friday 4 December, 14:30 GMT, 90 minutes
Explore Jo’s Freehand Foundation Piecing technique in this skills-based workshop. You will draw your own Dandelion Clock freehand on to a foundation fabric before foundation piecing and then tackling wonky improv curves.
- Learn the basics of foundation piecing
- How to draw up your own foundation template
- Cutting and piecing Improv curves.
Pretty Little Poinsettia with Pat Archibald
Friday 4 December, 17:00 GMT, 90 minutes
With Christmas just around the corner why not turn your thoughts to some seasonal makes. This pretty little poinsettia candle mat could be the ideal gift.
- Learn layered raw edge appliqué
- Easy machine appliqué techniques
- Metallic foil finishes
- Beaded edge stitch.
Thursday 10 December, 10am GMT, 90 minutes
Learn this improvised ‘quilt as you go’ technique with the possibility of making a cushion, including:
- The Quilt-As-You-Go Technique
- Top tips for machine quilting
- How to balance pattern and colours
- How to work in an improvised way
- How to have fun with scraps.
No Curved Piecing Seeds with Dawn Cameron Dick
Thursday 10 December, 12:30 GMT, 90 minutes
Use some of your favourite fabric scraps to make an exciting Seed quilt using Dawn’s Invisible Machine Applique technique.
- How to prepare your machine for the technique
- Choosing the appropriate needles and threads
- How to turn your seam allowances
- Making and positioning your templates
- Finalising your design and layout.
Moon and Stars Needle Turn Applique with Kerry Green
Thursday 10 December, 16:30 GMT, 90 minutes
For this project you’ll use the back basting appliqué technique for needle-turn appliqué to create a graphic moon and stars motif.
- How to use the back basting technique for needle turn appliqué
- Techniques to achieve sharp appliqué points in needle turn appliqué
- How to create smooth convex and concave curves in needle turn appliqué.
Check out the 2020 virtual winning quilts!
If you usually love the annual Festival of Quilts competition galleries, good news! Organisers shared Dynamic Galleries of this year’s Virtual Quilt Competition winners earlier in the summer, alongside a projects library and a a whole host of quilting hints and tips.
The annual Festival quilt competitions traditionally attract over 800 entries each year with all the entries hung for visitors to view, and we can honestly say it’s a highlight of our year to see them all. So we’re over the moon at the news we can still see what you’ve all been making in a new virtual format!
Main image: Modern Quilt from the 2018 Festival of Quilts – Bauble II by Tatyana Duffie
2019 Festival of Quilts Virtual Gallery
Head to our Festival of Quilts Virtual Tour to see the winning quilts that scooped the top spots at the 2019 Festival to see the designs that wowed the judges last summer.