When we’re out and about soaking up the sunshine and sightseeing somewhere new, be it at a coastal resort or a cosmopolitan city, the last thing we want to do is to be laden down with a heavy shoulder bag. So we’ll be packing all our big-day-out essentials in this issue’s City Backpack, a cute carry-all bag pattern that’s the perfect size for our sunscreen, sunnies, camera and travel snacks. We’ve made ours in pretty floral canvas with webbing straps, a cork fabric base and D-ring closure for practicality and style. Now let’s go exploring!
The City Backpack
This bag sewing pattern was available with issue 43 of Simply Sewing magazine. Look out for it soon in our Etsy store.
You will need
- Fabric A: 30x112cm (12x44in), for the main front and back
- Fabric B: 30x85cm (12x34in), for the base and details
- Fabric C: 80x112cm (32x44in), for the lining and pocket
- Iron-on wadding: 70x90cm (28x35in)
- Iron-on interfacing: 20x30cm (8x12in)
- Cotton webbing: 2.5cm (1in) width x 2.3m (21⁄2yds)
- 2 rectangle rings: 2.5cm (1in)
- 2 D-rings: 2.5cm (1in)
- 2 rectangle bag sliders: 2.5cm (1in)
- Zip: 18cm (7in)
- 2 press fasteners or Kam snaps
- Fray stopper
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
We used canvas for the main bag, cork fabric for the base and cotton for the lining.
- Learn the basics of bag-making
- Attach adjustable webbing straps
- Add a contact panel and matching details
- Make a secure fastening with a secure D-ring and webbing.