Twirl your way into event season with The Sophia Dress in UK sizes 6-20, a statement occasion frock with cut-out side panels and two sleeve and skirt styles.
From prom nights to garden parties, weddings to anniversary celebrations, summer events offer sewists so many opportunities to get creative with luxurious fabrics – think beautiful brocades, sumptuous jacquards, floaty crepes and statement cotton prints.
Like this dress but not feeling brave enough to wear it with naked sides? Head to our sister post to download our free conversion pattern to make it into a regular dress with solid side panels.
Of course, special fabrics like these call for a special pattern, and we’ve got just the design: The Sophia Dress, in UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18/EUR 34-48).
This chic number has swoon-worthy details to play with for a different look every time you make it, including optional cap sleeves, statement cut-out side panels and a twirly skirt in two lengths – perfect for social butterflies with lots of occasions in the calendar to sew for!
The Sophia Dress: digital sewing pattern
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48.
You will need
- Dress A main fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 2.3m (21⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Dress B main fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 1.9m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Dress A lining fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 2.3m (21⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Dress B lining fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 1.9m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Invisible zip: 56cm (22in)
- Hook and eye
- Matching thread
Medium-weight woven fabrics such as cotton, brocade or jacquard. Use lightweight cotton for the lining.
- Add fluttery cap sleeves, or make a sleeveless Sophia.
- Sew on-trend cut-out side panels
- Sew a lined fitted bodice
- Insert an invisible zip