What to write in a birthday card
Birthdays are always popping up and sometimes it’s hard to find the right words when sending a card. With our guide, you’ll get inspired by the best birthday card messages for anyone!
It seems there’s always a birthday around the corner and you know what that means… birthday cards! Yes, there’s plenty to choose from on the market, but as we know, it’s what’s inside that counts. By that, we mean the birthday card message you’ll write to the recipient.
There are endless ways to say happy birthday, but when a blank card is staring back at you it can be a little tricky to find the right words. That’s where we come in! We’ve got 80 ways to say happy birthday for you to use in your cards or you can use them as inspiration for your own message.
Below you’ll find the birthday card messages broken down into categories, so you can easily find what you need.
Main image: Photo by Unsplash
What should I write in a birthday card?
First things first, you’ll need to think about who the card is for. A relative, a friend or a partner? Depending on your connection to the person, you’ll want to tailor your message.
Other things to consider are their age and personality (i.e., would they appreciate a humourous or thoughtful message more?) Keep reading to find the perfect birthday message!
80 birthday card messages for anyone
General happy birthday card messages
Say happy birthday to your loved one with these birthday wishes suitable for all.
- Happy birthday! Have a wonderful day.
- Wishing you a very happy birthday.
- All the best for your birthday! I hope you have a great day!
- Happy birthday [name]! Have a fabulous day.
- Have a fab birthday!
- Happy birthday! I hope your day is filled with fun.
- Relax and enjoy your birthday!
- Yay, it’s your birthday, let’s celebrate!
- Celebrate good times!
- Happy birthday to you! I hope all your wishes come true.
Birthday card messages funny (age-related)
Make someone chuckle with these funny birthday card messages.
- Another year older, but no wiser!
- 21 again? Happy birthday!
- You know you’re old when the candles cost more than the cake!
- You don’t look a day over [their age before their birthday].
- Happy birthday! At least you’ve still got your hair!
What to write in a birthday card for a friend
Wish your bestie a happy birthday with these cute messages.
- To my best friend, I hope you have the best birthday!
- I can’t wait to celebrate with you! Happy birthday [name].
- You’re the best! I hope you have a great day.
- To a special friend. Enjoy your birthday.
- To my lovely friend, thanks for being you! Happy birthday.
What to write in a birthday card for a boyfriend
Send lovely wishes to your boyfriend! These work for a girlfriend too.
- To the best boyfriend. I hope you have a lovely birthday. I can’t wait to celebrate with you!
- To my boyfriend, thank you for being the best! I hope you have a wonderful birthday.
- Yay! It’s your birthday. Let’s celebrate.
- Happy birthday [name]! I love you.
- I can’t wait to celebrate your birthday. I love you so much!
What to write in a birthday card for a girlfriend
Let your girlfriend know how special she is! These work for a boyfriend too.
- To my beautiful girlfriend, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and get everything you wish for!
- I can’t wait to celebrate your special day! I love you.
- Thank you for everything you do! I hope you have the best birthday.
- To the best person in the world! I hope you have an amazing birthday.
- You’re my favourite! I hope you enjoy your day.
What to write in a birthday card for a partner
Wish your partner a very happy birthday with these sweet wishes!
- To my love, wishing you the happiest of birthdays.
- To my favourite human, I hope you have the best birthday.
- Happy birthday [name]! I love you lots.
- Let’s celebrate you! Have a lovely birthday.
- To the best person in the world! Happy birthday.
What to write in a birthday card for sister
Wish your sister a happy birthday with these sweet messages.
- Happy birthday to the best [big/little] sister!
- To a special sister, wishing you the happiest birthday! Lots of love.
- Yay, it’s your birthday! Time to celebrate.
- To the most lovely sister! Happy birthday. Thanks for putting up with me!
- Happy birthday to my sister!
What to write in a birthday card for brother
Let your bro know how cared for he is with these lovely messages.
- To my [big/little] bro, wishing you a happy birthday.
- To the best brother, hope you have a great day.
- To a special brother. Have a super birthday!
- To my brother, I hope you have a fab birthday. Looking forward to celebrating with you.
- To my brother on your birthday! Have a wonderful time.
Looking for another occasion?
Check out our card messages for all occasions to find the right words.
What to write in a birthday card for dad
Let your Dad relax on his special day with these birthday messages.
- To Dad, put your feet up and relax, it’s your birthday!
- To the best Dad, it’s your day to chill and enjoy.
- Happy birthday to a special Dad.
- It’s your birthday! We promise to behave, love you lots from [name].
- Grab a beer and get ready to be spoiled! Happy birthday Dad.
What to write in a birthday card for mum
It’s Mum's birthday. Let her know how wonderful she is!
- To the most special mum, I hope you have a very happy birthday.
- Happy birthday Mum! Have a lovely day. Lots of love from [name].
- To mum, relax and put your feet up! Enjoy your birthday.
- To the best mum, I hope you enjoy your birthday.
- To the loveliest mum in the world! Thanks for everything you do, I hope you have a wonderful birthday.
Birthday wishes for daughter
Let your daughter know how loved she is on her birthday.
- To the most special daughter, have a wonderful birthday love from [mum/dad].
- To my beautiful daughter, I hope you have a day as special as you.
- We’re so proud of you! Have the loveliest birthday.
- Happy birthday to my lovely daughter. Can’t wait to spoil you!
- To a wonderful daughter, happy birthday!
Birthday wishes for son
Looking for birthday wishes for your son? Try these.
- To a special son on your birthday, enjoy your day.
- We’re so proud of you son, have a lovely birthday.
- Happy birthday to a wonderful son! Love from [mum/dad].
- To an amazing son! I hope you have a wonderful day.
- We can’t wait to celebrate with you! Have a lovely birthday. Love from [mum/dad]
Age birthday card messages
Celebrate a milestone birthday with these age-relevant birthday messages.
40th birthday card messages
- The big 4-0! Wishing you a happy birthday.
- You don’t look a day over 30! Have a lovely day.
- Forty, flirty and thriving! Enjoy your day.
- I’m looking forward to celebrating your big 4-0!
- 40 is the new 30, enjoy yourself!
30th birthday card messages
- Life begins at 30! Have a fabulous day.
- Thirty, flirty and thriving! Happy birthday.
- Your 30s are like your 20s but you have more money! Happy birthday.
- Happy 30th birthday! Have a great day.
- 30 years of being amazing! Enjoy your birthday.
21st birthday card messages
- Happy 21st birthday!
- It’s party time! Happy 21st to you!
- Time to celebrate your big 2-1!
- 21 years young! Enjoy it.
- Enjoy celebrating your 21st! Yay, freedom!
Find special birthday words
Choosing the right words for a birthday card can be tricky, but you can use these messages as inspiration or simply copy them into your cards! The more personal they are, the better the message will be received though.
You’ve found the words, now make the card!
If you’re yet to find the right birthday card, making one yourself can add that extra special touch. Check out these DIY explosion cards, for something a little different.
Katie Dolan edits our needlework sections, focusing on our embroidery and cross stitch articles, as well as making videos for our arts and crafts projects. Katie runs her jewellery business, Ophelia Jewellery Art, on Etsy, where she sells beautiful resin-pressed flower earrings. She has a wide range of craft interests including embroidery – she particularly loves all things pop culture and a less traditional approach – The Simpsons and Rick & Morty are among her favourites to embroider. She has recently completed a silversmith workshop and hopes to expand her jewellery business with these new skills. When she’s not crafting, she’s usually fuelling her Harry Potter addiction with a Sunday film marathon and a couple of butter beers!
The Perfect Gift from just £22.49 - subscribe to any craft magazine today and Save up to 52%!