We’re challenging ourselves with new skills and ticking ‘sew with knits like a pro’ off the list thanks to The Alice Dress sewing pattern in UK sizes 6-20.
This simple-sew ballet-inspired frock features a feminine faux-wrap bodice, gathered skirt and two sleeve and skirt lengths. Be sure to share yours with us tagged #simplysewingmag!
The Alice Dress: digital sewing pattern
UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18, EUR 34-38).
You will need:
- Fabric: Dress A: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 2.6m (3yds); 140cm (55in) width fabric x 1.9m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Fabric: Dress B: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 3m (31⁄4yds); 140cm (55in) width fabric x 2.2m (21⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Clear elastic: 1cm (3⁄8in) width x 110cm (43in)
- Ballpoint and twin sewing machine needles
- Matching thread
Light to medium weight knit fabrics with at least 30% stretch.
Choosing jersey fabrics:
Alice is designed for light to medium weight knits, which gives you almost endless options to play with! Give these key jersey types a try.
- Cotton jersey: One of the most popular jersey fabrics thanks to its soft, fluid drape, available in a variety of weights to suit your project.
- Ponte de roma: A thicker, more stable knit that’s ideal for jersey-sewing newbies.
- Cotton Lycra: A blend of cotton and Spandex or Lycra with excellent stretch and recovery.
We like the range available over at Girl Charlee.
- Learn to sew with knits
- Make a gathered wasteline for an easy fit
- Sew a faux- wrap bodice for stylish layering
- Customise patterns: Choose from two sleeve and skirt lengths